Within the first five seconds of meeting you, a person has formed a strong opinion— of you make it a positive one.
- Make first impressions count with a Firm handshake
- Appropriate and Professional Dress
- Poised body language Remember to Smile and let your Sincerity, Confidence, Enthusiasm, Poise and Professionalism shine through.
- Many employers report that first impressions still count. Poor personal appearance and careless dress at an interview are major factors leading to the rejection of applicants.
The old adage that “first impressions count” certainly seems to hold true for Job Interviews. A recent Accountemps survey reveals that it takes only 16 minutes on average for today’s executives to determine whether a Job candidate may be a good match for a position.
Appearance MattersMany of us object to being judged for employment based on how we look. We prefer to be hired because of our skills and abilities, not because of our dress and grooming. But like it or not, appearance is important.
In fact, in one major survey:
95% of the employers interviewed said a jobseeker’s personal appearance affected the employer’s opinion of that applicant’s suitability for the job.
- 91% said they believed dress and grooming reflected the applicant’s attitude towards the company.
- 61% said dress and grooming had an effect on subsequent promotions as well. Whether you’re preparing for job interviews or concerned about advancement in your present job, it’s worth a few minutes of your time to think about what your appearance tells an employer about you. Be sure you are appropriately dressed for your company, customers and industry.