Choose clothing all in one color to give yourself a long, lean look.
- Wear black. It gives a look that is especially slimming.
- Try to avoid shapeless clothing. No one is fooled, and loose clothes often make you appear wider or heavier.
- Avoid tight clothing that will emphasize your heavy areas.
- Choose softly tailored pieces that define but don't constrain.
- Steer clear of horizontal stripes, which make you appear wider, but consider vertical stripes, which make you look longer and leaner.
- Wear blocks of color that draw the eye away from less-than-perfect areas. Wear a red shell or royal blue jacket, for example, to draw attention away from your legs.
- Wear shoulder pads and wide necklines to balance wide hips.
- Avoid trendy low-rider jeans if you have a big waist. The Gap has plenty of fabulous fitting jeans with a higher waist.
Put a swing in your strut, stand up straight and throw your shoulders back. You'll instantaneously look like you've lost ten pounds.