Followings Do’d and Don’ts can help you
- Do use 'Form 49A' for making application for allotment of PAN.
- Do fill the application in block letters in English and preferably with black ink.
- Do paste a recent colour photograph (size 3.5 cm X 2.5 cm).
- Do provide the signature within the box.
- If thumb impression is put on the application form, do get the thumb impression attested by Magistrate or a Notary Public or a Gazetted Officer, under official seal and stamp.
- Do provide correct AO code in the application.
- Do specify AO code as below if applicant is a defence employee
Army – PNE W 55 3
Navy – MUM W 11 8
Air Force – DEL W 72 2
- Do attach Proof of Identity (POI) and Proof of Address (POA) as per Rule 114 (4) of Income Tax Rules, 1962.
- Do provide the POI and POA which have name exactly as written in the application.
- Do provide details of Representative Assessee in column 14 of application form, if applicant is Minor, Idiot, Lunatic or Deceased.
- Do provide POI and POA for Representative Assesse also, if Representative Assessee is appointed.
- Do write the complete postal address in the application with landmark.
- Do mention correct pin code in the address field.
- Do mention telephone number / e- mail id in the application.
- Do not overwrite or make corrections in the application.
- Do not pin or staple the photograph.
- Do not sign across the box (i.e. signature should be within the box)
- Do not provide POI and POA which are not in the name of the applicant.
- Do not write any additional details (date, designation, rank, etc.) along with the signature in the box.
- Do not mention Husband's name in the Father's Name column.
- Do not abbreviate your name or do not use initials.
- Do not apply for a new PAN if you already have one.